July 5, 2013

Too Sweet to Pitch

Hello, Peeps,

I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. Ours was pretty quiet, but we were delighted to get rain shortly after it got dark.

When shopping for books to put on eBay it's very hard for me to resist many of the very old readers and other schoolbooks that turn up. They don't really sell all that well, which is a shame, because they're so cute. Like this one, Through the Day, from 1947:

Aren't the illustrations too cute for words?

Another really nice series was the Alice and Jerry books.

These are from The New Five-and-a-Half Club published in 1941. Again, there are illustrations throughout the text that are beautifully done and engaging to the reader.

Another Alice and Jerry is this, The New Round About:




Making Storybook Friends is from the mid-1950s:

The vehicles, people neatly dressed in ties and hats and examples of unsupervised outdoor play certainly catch the attention of a reader in 2013! Still, the beautiful illustrations and sweet stories make them well worthy of preservation.

Do you enjoy nostalgic trips down memory lane with old books? 

Till next time,

Michele

3 comments:

Tricia said...

I love seeing these! My first primer was Skip Along, featuring Alice, Jerry, and Jip. I'd love to find a copy!

Dewena said...

I love these old readers. My daughter-in-law collects them. The illustrations are so pretty too, just like the quality illustrations in old magazines.

rjerdee said...

As I said on one of your earlier posts...too cute for words. Love the little trip down memory lane :)